Named after Queen Victoria, Queen’s University began as one of three Queen’s colleges established in 1849. Located in Belfast, Galway and Cork, these three Queens Colleges made up what was then called the Royal University.
The first class of students at Queens College numbered about 90. They attended classes in the main buildings, located just a few minutes’ walk from Donegal Square and the centre of the city of Belfast.
The Lanyon Building
The main building, designed by former mayor of Belfast Charles Lanyon features three towers, is often used as a background for movies set in Belfast and for news reports about Belfast.
The University Visitors Centre is located in the Lanyon Building. It displays historical items related to the University, and has a variety of souvenirs.
Today’s Queen’s is made up of over 300 buildings, many of which are historically significant.
There are around 24,000 students.
Things to Do
- Take a stroll around University Square
- Visit the University Visitors Centre
- Visit the Seamus Heaney Library — named after the poet from Ulster who won the Nobel Prize in 1997
Did You Know
Queen’s alumni include two nobel prize winners
- Poet Seamus Heaney
- Politician Lord Trimble
and a former President of Ireland
- Mary McAleese
University Road, Belfast – Google Map